Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Tenants: Milwaukee Braves (NL, 1953-65); Milwaukee Brewers (AL, 1970-97; NL, 1998-99)
Opened: April 6, 1953
Last game: September 28, 2000
Demolished: February 21, 2001
Surface: Bluegrass
Capacity: 36,011 (1953); 43,394; (1954); 53,192 (1975)

Architect: n/a
Builder: Hunzinger Construction et al.
Owner: Milwaukee County.
Cost: $5 million (1953).

Location: 201 South 46th Street. Left field (E), Menomonee River and South 44th Street, later US-41 Stadium Freeway; third base (N), Story Parkway and Interstate 94; first base (W), General Mitchell Boulevard; right field (S), West National Avenue and the National Soldiers Home.

Dimensions: Left field: 320 (1953), 315 (1975); power alleys: 355 (1953), 362 (1962); deep alleys: 397 (1953), 392 (1955); center field: 404 (1953), 410 (1954), 402 (1955); right field: 320 (1953), 315.37 (1954); backstop: 60.

Fences: Left field: 4 (1953), 8 (1955), 8.33 (1959), 10 (1985); center field: 4 (1953), 8 (1955), 8.33 (1959), 10 (1985); right field: 4 (1953), 10 (1955).

 

County Stadium (90s)

 

With its dull gray exterior, cramped concourses and obstructed-view seats, Milwaukee County Stadium is an old park without an old parkís character. It opened on April 6, 1953, for an exhibition game between the Milwaukee Braves and the Boston Red Sox. It held only 36,011 fans at the time, and only 28,111 of them sat in permanent seats. That changed after only one year, and the bleacher configuration and size have changed several times since. In 1982, those bleachers were filled for the stadiumís first World Series in 25 years when the Brewers hosted the Cardinals. The Braves hosted the Yankess here in both the 1957 and 1958 World Series.

In 1994, the National Football Leagueís Green Bay Packers announced that they were leaving the stadium, where they had played two or three regular-season games each year since 1953. The Brewers are to move into a new retractable roof stadium being constructed in the center field parking lot by March 2001. The last Brewers game will be played in County Stadium on September 28, 2000. The last time the Braves will play at the ballpark is May 27, 2000.

County Stadium Trivia: